COVID-19 Immune Support Guidelines for Adults:
We are charting into new territory with COVID-19, but we have learned some useful information from past SARS /coronavirus outbreaks and from other countries that have been battling COVID-19. There are no extensive studies on how these medications and supplements specifically impact COVID-19. Still, there is impressive evidence that these may help to decrease the severity and shorten the duration of the illness. These are not meant as a form of treatment for COVID-19, and if your symptoms worsen significantly, be sure to contact your primary care physician. The preventive measures that we are recommending are intended to increase your body’s resistance to the virus. As with physical distancing and hand washing, they cannot guarantee that you will not become infected with COVID-19, only make it less likely.
Preventative steps: These are well-proven lifestyle factors that are known to impact immunity:
If you are having difficulty with falling asleep or with staying asleep, please consider contacting our physician at OHM for personalized recommendations. Some general strategies include:
- Aim for at least 7-8 hours. Be sure to sleep in a cool, quiet, dark environment.
- Turn off your Wi-Fi at night
- Limit exposure to other EMF at night as much as possible.
- Limit exposure to blue light emitted from screens, especially 1 hour before bedtime. Exposure to this type of light delays the secretion of melatonin needed for sleep initiation.
- Use amber blue-light blocking glasses if computer work is necessary or download the F.lux app (https://justgetflux.com) for a computer or phone.
- Exercise daily.
- Mix it up, aerobic/strengthening, with a variety of your favorite activities.
- Include outdoor activities as much as possible.
- Eat a lot of colorful and green vegetables
- Significantly limit sugar, excessively starchy carbs, and avoid processed foods.
- Eat high-quality animal or plant protein – consuming no more then what would fit in the palm of your hand for each meal.
- Be sure to drink plenty of purified water. This is especially important during a COVID-19 infection.
- During a COVID infection, also be sure to rest. You may lose your appetite. Do not force yourself to eat if you are not hungry. Temporary calorie restriction will help facilitate healing. (“feed a cold, starve the flu”)
- Practice daily restorative, relaxing activities
- Learn new skills, dance, play music, etc.,
- Practice mindfulness: meditation, yoga, prayer, etc.
- Maintain a routine while working at home.
5 . Wi-Fi/EFM:
There is evidence suggesting electromagnetic frequencies may impact your health, including making you more susceptible to infections from bacteria and viruses.
- Turn off Wi-Fi, Alexas, and other EMF devices at night when sleeping.
- Do not have a cell phone on and near you when you sleep (put on airplane mode)
B. Basic Immune Support Supplements during COVID-19 for Adults:
Vitamin C: at least 2,000 mg daily, or to “bowel tolerance.” Taking 1,000 -2,000 mg several times daily may be helpful, but if you experience any diarrhea, decrease your dosage.
Vitamin D: 4-5,000 IU daily (tablet or liquid)
Vitamin A: 25,000 IU daily (7500 mcg) daily capsule (XCellent A from Xymogen) or 3-4 drops of Vitamin A liquid Bio-Immulsion (Biotics)
- Physician’s Daily – Research Nutritionals – 1 daily, in morning
- B- Complex: B-Active – Xymogen – 1-2 daily, in morning
- Additional Immune Support Formulas (increase NK cells):
- Multi-Immune Transfer Factor (Research Nutritionals)– 2 daily – or –
- Immucore (Metagenics) – 1 daily – or –
- Other mushroom extracts, beta-glucans, etc.
C. Basic Immune Support Supplements during COVID-19 for Children:
These supplements help strengthen the immune system’s response to viral illnesses.
Immunoberry (Designs for Health) – good-tasting immune support that contains elderberry, and other herbs, mushroom extracts. Excellent for prevention.
- Children under 25 lbs: 1000 IU
- Children 25-50 lbs: 2000 IU
- Children over 50 lbs: 3000 IU
For acute viral illnesses 50,000 IU can be taken daily for 5-7 days, then stop vitamin D supplements for one month
- Children 2-24 months: 1250 IU daily
- Children 2-5 years old: 2500-3000 IU daily
Available in liquid form and Xymogen 10,000 IU (3,000 mcg) capsules (XcellentA) at OHM.
Nordic Naturals Cod Liver Oil contains some vitamin A (230-920 IU per tsp.) – can be ordered from Fullscript. 1 tsp includes 1,000 IU vitamin D. This dosage is appropriate for any child > 1 y.o. and can be mixed with apple sauce or other food.
- 500-1,000 mg 1-3x daily, decrease if any diarrhea.
Supplements are available at Osteopathic Healthcare of Maine (call 781-7900 for designated, safe pick up times), or you can order from one of our online dispensaries found on our website under the “Order Supplements” tab.
D. Osteopathic Care:We are also available to teach you and your family osteopathic techniques that will improve your immune response, as well as the health of your respiratory system. These include easy to learn techniques for promoting lymphatic drainage, which is our body’s primary defense against infections, and rib raising techniques, which help to maximize the lungs capacity to breathe in oxygen and to breath out waste products.
Call 781-7900 if you have any questions.